Thursday, February 2, 2012

You are what you...

I was reminded of an important phenomenon yesterday: You are who you hang out with. You also are what you eat, read, watch, think about, and do.

If you don't like the way some of these are going, it's up to you to change it. No one else will change it for you.

I've been told many times to surround myself with people smarter than myself, and when I do, I always learn something. I suggest you try it out for yourself. In doing this, however, we have to be very discerning in choosing who we learn from. Teaching styles alone can shape the way we think and act. Find a few trustworthy people with a mentor attitude, tell them what you hope to gain from your relationship, and you're set up. Anyone worth listening to will be happy to take you under their wing.

Occasionally you'll find yourself questioning your mentor's advice or viewpoint. This isn't a cause for alarm, it's just a good time for you to seek out a second or third opinion.

This seems obvious at best. It is. However, I'm the kind of guy that needs reminders. Often. I trust I'm not the only one in this big world that does.

Who are you hanging out with?

No comments:

Post a Comment